TableUpcycled

Wait!

Do not buy a new furniture! You can buy thrifty pieces, upcycle and customise them the way you like them. 

I am obsessed with crafting and customizing home and furnitures: upholstery is absorbing and even meditative since it takes time and total concentration. You have time to think and to relax and at the end, when you have your old/new piece in the right place of your home, you can be proud of yourself: "oh, that one? it was an old ugly piece of wood I found in the basement..." 

My last project is a table. It was the dining room table I bought when I got married in 1996. A modern looking extendable Calligaris table, with legs and frame in cherry wood and top in tempered glass with a co-planar opening mechanism to double the lenght of the table. 




This is how I decided to renew it.

I needed a white table for a new house to rent. Didn't want to spend lot of money and here comes the idea of painting that table stored in the basement. 

I searched in internet a good paint to last for many years to come and I discovered Fusion™ Mineral Paint. I ordered the Picket Fence color of the new collection( a bright optical white) and Ultra Grip™, the primer base.

PREP! It is not a bad 4 letter word, but a crucial step. 
  1. the first important thing to do is wipe the table with a de-greaser. I used water with vinegar and baking soda and let it dry for 5 hours.
  2. Once I have cleaned any potential grease, I gave a very light and quick sanding to de-gloss the surface.
  3. I applied 1 coat of Ultra Grip™ and allow it to dry for 12 hours
  4. I applied 2 coats of the white paint, waiting 12 hours between coats for absolute best results. Fusion™ Mineral Paint has incredible coverage, however it’s always best to apply two coats rather than trying to get it all done in one thicker coat. 
  5. Best part is that Fusion™ Mineral Paint is formulated with a built in top coat, so I did not need to add anything over top!

  6. Fusion™ is water resistant and can easily be washed. A dining table is considered a high traffic area, and I'm thinking if it would be necessary to add another layer of protection.  Tough Coat™ is a non-yellowing formula which gives a little higher satin sheen than the matte finish of Fusion™.... thinking of!
I will post the before, during and after picture! Stay tuned!